Miscellaneous Baba related chit chat.
bshirk

Unwanted Crew!

Postby bshirk » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:31 pm

s/v Andastar
Baba 30 #236

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:17 pm

Do you guys have much trouble with Sea Lions down in San Diego? They sunk boat here recently.

http://www.thelog.com/news/logNewsArticle.aspx?x=8250
Cindy
s/v Mandisa
Baba 30 #218

bshirk

Postby bshirk » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:18 am

No, we don't hear about boardings like you have. They hang out on the buoys, of course. Many of them get sidetracked to the bait receivers just beyond Ballast Point as they come into the harbor. I don't think we have quite the concentration of boats on moorings that you have either, if that makes any difference. We keep our boat in a marina in the South Bay. Takes us hours to get to open ocean but sea lions don't visit.

I figured the critters would head for easy-boarding swimstep boats before they'd go to the bother of climbing on a Baba... silly me!
s/v Andastar

Baba 30 #236

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:08 am

Silly us too!! We have a mooring, but keep Mandisa in a slip. Lately, we've been thinking about going back on the mooring to save some money. Then we saw those photos! :shock:

When we bought Mandisa, she was in the Chula Vista marina. She was hauled for survey at the old Kettenberg yard (part of Driscol now) up in Shelter Island. I couldn't believe how long it took to get there. On the other hand, we had a nice long test sail on the way up.
Cindy

s/v Mandisa

Baba 30 #218

bshirk

Postby bshirk » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:18 pm

We're in California Yacht Marina, which shares the boat basin with Chula Vista Marina. For day sails, we generally stay in the south bay. The wind is wonderful... nothing but the Silver Strand between the ocean wind and our sails!
s/v Andastar

Baba 30 #236

Return to “General”