Looking for Baba-30 on the East Coast

Baba / Panda / Tashiba vessels wanted
mfriedman2007

Looking for Baba-30 on the East Coast

Postby mfriedman2007 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:43 pm

Fellow sailors,

I'm looking for Baba-30, a year isn't very important although 1980-1982 would better that 1976 (just a bit). Prefer good conditions but plan to do a lot of updates anyway so as long as she's structurally OK - I'm OK too.

One thing is important, though: I'm located on the East Coast (sail on Chesapeake Bay) and don't want to deal with transportation, don't trust them. So I'm looking for the boat which I can sail back to Chesapeake.

Call me at (215) 359-8784 if you know such a boat.

Thanks
Mike
Mike Friedman
(215) 359-8784

RickB
Site Admin

Postby RickB » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:20 pm

Hello Mike,

Didn't notice your post earlier. Welcome to the board!

Have you had any luck finding a boat? There are some resources you can use to find one. Best is Yachtworld, but you can also just Google terms like 'Baba 30 for sale'. That's how we found ours.
Rick Beddoe
Soñadora, 1978 Baba 30

mfriedman2007

Postby mfriedman2007 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:17 am

Thanks, Rick - that's where I've been looking but didn't find a good candidate yet on the East Coast. There're a few good boats in Washington State area but I'm afraid of transportation - not just the cost but the conditions the boat would arrive across the country. Do you have any experience with a long-range transportation?

Thanks
Mike
Mike Friedman

(215) 359-8784

RBEmerson

Postby RBEmerson » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:04 pm

We haven't done it but I'm hard pressed to think of many horror stories "back in the day" with Baba-L. I do know of one boat that had a bad time, but that was because the owner did a rotten job of closing the boat up. Bad owner! :twisted:

There are some people in the business who get good reviews, friends had their Island Packet hauled to CA this summer (without apparent gripe), and, come to think of it, our first boat with a cabin (West Wight Potter 15!) was hauled from CA to PA. The only problem was the driver took a detour and showed up a couple of days late. Nothing bad happened to the boat, though.
We are all just a battery failure away from the age of sail.

Sparty

shipping a boat

Postby Sparty » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:56 pm

One thing for sure, if you ever planning on shipping a boat, get more than one quote. Last summer we were considering purchasing a boat in Texas for shipment back to Lake Michigan. We got two or three quotes and they varied from just over $4000 to $11,000 for a Tashiba 36.

RickB
Site Admin

Postby RickB » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:57 pm

Mike,

We had our boat shipped from Portland, OR to Minneapolis. I believe the price tag was around $3500. We only got one quote with a shipping company that was local to our area and has a terrific reputation. We used Cross Country: http://www.ccbti.com/. These guys know what they're doing.

The boat arrived in very good condition. I wouldn't be too concerned about any damage en route. Anything major will be covered by the shipping company. You can save some money by getting the boat ready yourself (not much). If you're not in a hurry, you can usually get on the schedule for the shipping company so they can optimize their travels. In other words, maybe they are dropping a boat off in Seattle and have to pick one up in Annapolis. They could then pick yours up in Seattle and take it to Annapolis.

The majority of the Babas are in the Pacific Northwest...especially the 30s. That will be your best bet. Warm yourself up to the idea of having it shipped and it could work out. You may be looking at around $5k to ship. Don't forget you'll also need to pay marina fees for travelift.

I would give the guys at Cross Country a call. Tell them I referred you. Our Baba 30 was shipped in '03 to Hansen's Harbor.
Rick Beddoe
Soñadora, 1978 Baba 30

Return to “Wanted”