Last Saturday I was having a cup of coffee before heading to the boat to work for the day. From upstairs Emma called down, asking when I was leaving. "Can I come and help?" She said. WOW! That really meant a lot to me. She had been to the boat a couple times before, but I never really tasked her with anything major. With my goal of completing the deck in February (goal missed), I was anxious to get work done. With Emma joining me, I was able to cut my prep time in half. She helped with finish sanding of the seams vacuuming out the seams and more importantly - masking.
After vacuuming, We then cleaned out the grooves with a rag and some acetone. Then it was time to mask. That took about 3 hours and if I would have had to do it by myself, I would be way behind instead of just a little behind.
Masking of the deck is a very tedious job. In hindsight, if I ever do this again (which I never will), I would fold up the ends of the tape so as to provide a means for removal. It was a major PITA to take the tape off.
I initially had visions of filling all the seams then going back with the putty knife to press the stuff down. It's good that I ran out of stuff and decided to press it down in stages. There's no way I could have gone back with the putty knife after all the seams were filled. So I started at the bow and worked toward the stern.
Speaking with others about this, the suggestion was to remove the tape before the stuff cures. Otherwise, you risk pulling up the seam with the tape. No way I wanted that to happen! So I pulled up the tape while the goop was still wet. What a freaking mess! Surprisingly however, I did not get any of it on me and I managed only minimal 'goopage' on the deck. On the other hand, I did get it all over the beams of the shed because I used them to steady myself. Still have one side to go and will hopefully get to it this weekend.