And More Teak...

| No Comments

I guess I wasn't sure how involved refurbishing the teak deck and trim was going to be. Typical. I've pretty much been unsure about everything I've done on the boat. Originally, I was just going to fix a few leaks. Sheesh.

But, it's been a fantastic learning experience. My teak isn't going to be perfect, but I really do hope it's going to look good and last a long time.

100_8671.jpgOne of my favorite design details on the teak has always been the scrollwork on the bow and stern. On SoƱadora, this scrollwork was seriously worn down to the point where you could not make it out. I attempted to enhance it by painting the background green and leaving the area where the scrollwork is natural. 100_8673.jpg

Ultimately though, I wanted to somehow bring out the depth as it was when the boat was made. I tried all sorts of tools including a small hand sander and a Dremel (with hundreds of different attachments). None of those were adequate. Then recently, I decided to check out YouTube to see if there were any tips on carving scrollwork. There were many videos showing how to do it and it didn't look all that difficult. So I went out and got a set of chisels from Home Depot and started carving away. It's taken a total of 6 hours or so for me to carve my first scrollwork. It may not be perfect, but I think it will pass the 10 ft. rule (looks good at 10 feet or more).

100_8682.jpgI carved away close to 1/4" of material. That made the screw heads of the screws used to keep the trim in place appear. So I had to remove those and re-sink the holes for the screws. There's only about 1/4" to 3/8" material left, so I don't think anyone will be carving this again. I'll do my best to keep it in shape.


Leave a comment

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Rick published on April 22, 2012 10:46 PM.

Teak was the previous entry in this blog.

Varnishing is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.